I’m going to be honest and say I absolutely do not like canned soup. Especially Tomato! My favourite is my moms Portuguese chicken soup. Coming home from school to the smell of this soup was the best part of winter. It was not until I got married that my fondness for Tomato soup came to be.Jump to Recipe
The best part about this soup is that the ingredients are so simple. Using all fresh ingredients make this soup so flavourful and creates a brilliant texture. This Tomato soup is created without the use of cream. Which makes it wonderfully vegan and dairy free. Here’s what you will need:
- Fresh Tomatoes I used on the vine and some cherry tomatoes for a little extra sweetness. You can definitely also use Roma as well. Organic or garden fresh is preferred for a more flavourful soup.
- Garlic I use a whole head of garlic. It is so delicious and essential to this recipe.
- Onions Roasted onion pairs beautiful alongside the tomatoes in this recipe.
- Optional: I added 3 carrots to my roasting pan. They add so many beneficial nutrients. And a great way to sneak in some extra veggies.
Can I add cream?
Absolutely! if you refer a more creamier soup ( I personally like mine a little chunky) you can add cream. If you want to keep it vegan, add a can of coconut milk.
Can I add other vegetables?
Yes! I often add almost any i have left over in the fridge. Sweet potatoes and Red or green peppers are incredible in this soup.
What to serve with tomato soup?
Grilled cheese is my favourite to eat with Tomato soup. You can also serve it topped with croutons and a glass or merlot.
Simple Vegan Tomato Soup
- 2 pounds Tomatoes vine or roma
- 1 large Onion
- 1 head Garlic
- 2-3 Carrots optional
- 2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1½ Tsp Chilli Flakes optional
- 1 cup Vegetable stock
- 3 Tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place halved tomatoes, Garlic, Onion and Carrots on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Generously add the sale and pepper. Roast in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Once vegetables are roasted, Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add to a large pot and immersion blend. Gradually add vegetable stock. Alternatively you can use a food processor or high speed blender.
- After blending turn on stove to med-low heat and add chili flakes (optional) along with any additional add-ons you would like. Allow soup to simmer for 10 minutes before serving