Growing up we ate Nutella every day. Breakfast, lunch snack and sometimes even dinner! Today I can’t imagine eating it. There is just way to much sugar and palm oil for my liking. My version is vegan and made without refined sugar and oils. It is simple yet so flavourful and delicious. It definitely does not last long in my house.
Homemade Hazelnut Butter Ingredients
To make hazelnut or any butter all you really need is the nuts. However for this recipe I added chocolate to give it a little bit of a Nutella vibe.
How To Roast Hazelnuts?
Pre heat oven to 375 ° . Place raw hazelnuts on a Lined baking sheet and bake for 10 -15 minutes. Take them out of the oven and place in tea towel. Wrap them up and leave them for 10 minutes. Keeping them in the towel, Rub them together to remove the skins. You may not get them all but that’s okay.
Chocolate Hazelnut Butter
- 1½ Cups Hazelnuts Peeled, Roasted
- 1 Tbsp Cacao Powder
- 2 Tbsp Date Caramel
- Roast hazelnuts for 12 minutes at 350° Pay attention as the nuts can burn easily. Once they are browned , remove from oven let cool slightly.
- If your hazelnuts are already peeled skip this step. Wrap the nuts in a clean tea towel, fold and roll in a circular motion until skins have been removed.
- Add Hazelnuts to food processor and blend for 3-5 minutes until the nuts start to release their oils.
- Add Cacao and date caramel to mixture
- blend for another 4 minutes until combined and smooth. Transfer to an air tight container and store in pantry for up to 2 weeks.